28 July 2010

Nashville Food: The Garden Brunch Cafe

This year for Mother's Day, we decided to go out for brunch on Saturday to avoid crowds. I was browsing through my emails when I saw a restaurant in my airline-mileage-dining-club-thingy. I had never heard of it before so I did a bit of clicking to discover that the Garden Brunch Cafe in Nashville had great reviews. Former patrons had discovered the owners (Karl & Jennifer Carpenter) to be really friendly and attentive, even serving and visiting tables themselves. What struck me, however, was the opening paragraph of their web site that states they serve "seasonal variations on pancake delicacies" and they have a "healthy take on Southern favorites."

Well, that did it for me. I was in, and my husband was excited to try something new. We discovered at the restaurant that they serve local organic eggs (from Mamushi Nature Farm in Franklin, TN), turkey sausage/bacon in lieu of pork products, whole wheat toast, and fresh organic produce whenever possible.

images: gardenbrunchcafe.com
The atmosphere was pleasant... Housed in a quaint bungalow on the North side of Jefferson Street, the cafe has a history you can read about as soon as you walk in the door. Colorful paintings decorated the walls, fresh wildflowers were placed on each table, and friendly people greeted us. There was a certain urban, jazz appeal about the place, even in the daytime. 

As for the food, it was certainly very tasty. What I appreciated the most was the comfort in knowing the food was prepared with the intention of supporting healthy living. There wasn't a ton of grease, and the flavor wasn't compromised by the lack of pork fat. Hey, I love me some bacon on occasion, but this particular experience was all about the healthy attitude a Southern brunch can have.

Give them a try! You'll be supporting a local small business that supports other local small business!

Click here for a bonafide article on the restaurant.

Oh yes, and this weekend they are having a special event. I can't make it, but if you happen to go please come back and leave a comment.


* * *
An Evening of Wine & Art
Enjoy sumptuous wine tastings while meeting
and sharing with the artists with art displayed at The Garden, 
along with Live Music by Singer/Guitarist John Richards.
The admission price of $20.00 will include 
varied appetizers, desserts, coffee, and our fine wines.
924 Jefferson Street
Nashville, TN 37208
615-891-1217
* * *

No comments:

Post a Comment