30 June 2010

The Green Pan

A couple of years ago we rented out our house to do a short stint in my folks home. It helped us lighten our load (our junk piles) as well as our income to debt ratio. When our renters had to break their lease we were ready to move back in, not having found another dwelling in our dream house realm! We returned to a fairly unchanged house, and I found a few jewels in the kitchen that told a stereotypical story of bachelors:  camping cookware.

So, believe it or not, for the last couple of years we've been using the little cheap-o pan more than any other piece of cookware! Mind you, I own a fantastic set of heavy Calphalon pots and pans that we received as wedding gifts. We hadn't purchased a tiny pan because I didn't know we would need one, let alone use one EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Back to the camping pan... I started to get a little put off by little specks of metal showing through the nonstick surface of the pan. Yes, this means that the nonstick substance had been flaking off into our food, or perhaps burning off into the air for us to breathe in. Eeeeeeuwwww.

One day as I perused the cookware aisles of The Big Red T, I found ONE option for a small pan that didn't have teflon on its surface.
Enter: Green Pan.

Wow! Talk about non-stick! This baby is so slick you could almost fry without any grease. The instructions actually tell you to use cooking oil in order to brown the food. Perfect made-to-order eggs, slip-n-slide fried rice, and boy howdy...NO teflon!

image: Target.com

2 comments:

  1. Just bought me some green pans yesterday, I'm so excited! I got the grill pan & the large skillet (they were sold out of the 8" but as soon as one comes available I'm adding that to my collection too.) Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I saw these at Target and instead of buying them tried to save a few bucks and bought a different "green pan" at T.J. Maxx... needless to say this was the stickiest non-stick pan :) Ended up buying the green pan you got and LOVE it! Can't wait to be able to buy the other sizes.

    ReplyDelete