28 June 2010

Peep No More

Since I was a child I've had a "thing" about making sure that the curtains, blinds and/or shades are drawn COMPLETELY at night. I realize that during the day it is more difficult to see inside a window without being really close, so the only place I have allowed to be uncovered in our house are the three panes by the front door. Well, truth be told, I had a custom cut paper blind hanging over it for several years. I couldn't stand it so I took it down but have waited 3 more years to solve the problem! I was not comfortable napping in the front room alone, doing yoga, and definitely NOT nursing... Until now.

Challenges/Requirements:
   * the window panes are nestled in a door frame with an inch of room on either side
   * the frame is metal so I was unable to install a traditional curtain rod or blinds
   * we need some diffused light to come through the window in the morning, but cover it in the late afternoon sun
   * we must be able to pull back the curtain or blind enough to see who is at the door
   * view from outside needs to be obstructed
   * the perfect scraps of fabric I wanted to repurpose (leftover panels cut from my sister's place) weren't long enough to cover all 3 panes



Solution:
   * I found a mini Levolor magnetic curtain rod that fit in the space around the panes
   * create a "roll blind" that wraps the rod to have both the white semi-transparent fabric and the solid linen beige color!


Here is what I came up with. You'll see there are different positions that you can "set" the Roll Blind to, depending on your needs, or mood. Sorry, folks. I still have one window left before I can quit the elite group "PBLUFO5YC" (that's Paper Blinds Left Up For Over 5 Years Club).

2 comments:

  1. i love it! and truth be told...i'm in the PBLUFO6YC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so creative! This works great. "PBLUFO5YC" hahaha! :) We just joined last year...

    ReplyDelete