02 February 2011

For Once In My Life

I've mentioned in the past that I'm a fan of PBS, Independent Lens, documentaries, and the like. It's difficult to describe the "boring adult" phase of life that creeps up on you (well, in my case it was slow), when suddenly you realize that you prefer to watch public television instead of crime dramas, sitcoms or scandalous reality shows. I have been noticing a desire to be indulged by another culture... a need to be inspired by other people's challenges... or simply LEARN something, gain knowledge, absorb history, fire up my brain cells with exciting facts... You get the picture.

Last night's feature on Independent Lens was inspirational, to say the least. Again, we see music as a force stronger than we give it credit. The ability to play an instrument, or just be a part of a band, gives life meaning to these people – life we assume to be lower than the rest of us. We should never underestimate the power of a music program. After I saw this film I firmly declared it is yet another reason that music should be taught to all children, in all schools, of all mental and physical capacities. Amen.

For Once in My Life | Documentary on Spirit of Goodwill Band | Independent Lens | PBS

2 comments:

  1. amen indeed. and a round of the doxology, too! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are nothing if not eloquent, my friend. I agree 100%. Beautiful and inspiring post - as usual! Loves!

    ReplyDelete